Plus Size Rocking Chairs Review
Since their invention in mid 18thcentury, rocking chairs have been among the most popular pieces of furniture. In 1844, a Vermont newspaper writer depicted rocking chairs as “wooden narcotics,” having noted the addictive euphoric feeling that one experiences from swaying on a rocking chair.
Today, people invest in rocking chairs not just because of the soothing feeing they give, but also because of the amazing health benefits they bring. According to Dr. Heinrich Addleheim of the Kinetic Therapy Clinic in Berlin, swaying on a rocking chair is considered a mild form of exercise and a de-stressor. As such it can help people with physical and mental health issues like back pain, arthritis, weight gain, stress, anxiety, Alzheimer’s, and dementia.
If you are considering investing in an oversized rocking chair, but are not sure of what brand to choose or which features to look for, this guide will help. We have reviewed the five best plus size rocking chairs you can invest in below.
Amish Heavy-duty 600 Lb Mission Pressure Treated Rocking Chair
For anyone looking for a roomy chair, the Amish Heavy-duty Rocking Chair is an ideal choice. With seat dimensions of 23.3W x 19D x 30H inches, this handy piece of chair is certainly the best wide rocking chair. It also has a maximum weight capacity of 600 lbs, which means that most people can use it.
It features commercial quality construction, which makes this rocking chair ideal for homes, condos, resorts, etc. It is available in four finish options, as well as in an unfinished option that you can paint or stain to your liking.
Features at Glance
- Made from kiln-dried treated pine
- Bolts and screws are made of steel
- Available in unfinished or in four eco-friendly soy-based stain finish options
- Outside dimensions of 29.5W x 36D x 41H inches
- Seat dimensions of 23.3W x 19D x 30H inches
- 18-19 inches from the ground to the seat
- Weight capacity of 600 lbs
- Weighs 42 lbs
What we Liked
- It is easy to assemble with straightforward instructions
- Very roomy with adequate sitting area
- Features a heavy, solid construction that makes it a heavy-duty rocking chair
- Made from durable pine, which makes the chair long-lasting
- Sits at a nice height that’s easy to get on and out of
- Chair is comfortable to rock in with full motion
- It is lightweight, thus easy to move around
- There are four color options to choose from
- This rocking chair is eco-friendly and Green Building Compliant
- It is completely odorless
What We Didn’t Like
- It is expensive, but its many desirable features make the price worth it.
If comfort, durability, versatility, and portability are more important to you than price, then the Amish Heavy-duty Rocking Chair is a perfect choice. It may not be the most affordable plus size rocking chair, but it certainly has some remarkable features that enable it to deliver the health benefits associated with rocking chairs.
Semco Plastics SEMW Patio Rocking Chair
Priced lower than most other plus size outdoor rocking chairs in the market, the Semco Plastics SEMW Patio Rocking Chair is one of the most reasonably priced plastic-bodied rocking chairs you can get. It is made using rugged white plastic that’s strong, waterproof, and durable.
Make no mistake – this is no ordinary plastic rocking chair. It is stronger than even some metallic and wooden rockers, considering that it has a maximum weight capacity of 600 lbs.
Features at Glance
- Made from rugged white plastic that is durable, strong and waterproof
- The plastic is scratch & stain-resistant
- Has a spacious 19 x 19-inch seat base
- Has a 32.5-inch high backrest
- Weighs 26 lbs
- Maximum weight capacity of 600 lbs
What We Liked
- This rocking chair is quite easy to assemble and disassemble
- It is made from durable plastic, which stands up to extreme temperature, moisture, and sunlight, thus won’t peel, blister, or rust.
- The plastic is not only stain-resistant, but it is also easy to clean with a wet piece of cloth.
- This oversized outdoor rocking chair is very comfortable as it is not only spacious, but it also provides plenty of support.
- It is lightweight, so you can easily move it around as you wish.
- It is an eco-friendly option as it is made from recycled materials.
- It is very affordable.
What We Didn’t Like
- It is not the most aesthetically-appealing option, but It is plain look isn’t that bad either.
The purpose of a rocking chair is to provide a gentle rocking motion. The Semco Plastics SEMW Patio Rocking Chair is built for that purpose, and it does it so well. It may not look as good as its wooden counterparts, but it functions as intended. Its low price is like the icing on the cake. You get to enjoy the benefits of a rocking chair without having to spend too much of your hard-earned money.
POLYWOOD R100WH Presidential Rocking Chair
From great looks to durable construction to ergonomic design, the POLYWOOD R1000 Presidential Rocking Chair has some of the most desirable features you would want in a heavy-duty indoor rocking chair. This solid chair is made from recycled plastic, and it is as comfortable as it is functional.
One of the features that set this rocking chair apart from many others is the contoured seat that guarantees a comfortable rocking experience. This rocking chair is available in 13 different color options.
Features at Glance
- Made from genuine POLYWOOD all-weather lumber
- Hardware is 18-8 stainless steel with an AlloChrome 3200+™ finish and cosmetic coating
- Seat measures 20W x 19D x 17H inches
- The head rest at the top of the chair is 4 inches at the widest in the middle
- Features wide, vertical back slats that give the chair a contemporary look
- Has gently sloped runners that provide a smooth rocking rhythm
- The chair weighs 42 lbs
- It has passed a 400 lb static load test
- It is available in 13 color options
What We Liked
- The durable POLYWOOD lumber can withstand a range of climates, including freezing rain, hot sun, strong coastal winds, snowy winters, and salt spray.
- It is resistant to stains and corrosives, and it is less prone to rotting, peeling, chipping, cracking, or splintering.
- It is an eco-friendly option, considering that it is made using recycled plastic.
- UV inhibitors and stabilizers have been applied, making the rocking chair fade-resistant.
- It is backed by the manufacturer’s 20-year limited residential warranty and 1-year limited commercial warranty.
- It is easy to maintain as it does not require any painting, staining, or waterproofing.
- This rocking chair is available in a wide range of color options.
What We Didn’t Like
- It is expensive, but its many desirable features make it worth the money.
Overall, the POLYWOOD R1000 Presidential Rocking Chair is an excellent oversized outdoor rocking chair. While other plastic rocking chairs have a plain look, this oversized rocking chair is beautifully designed to suit modern homes. With many color options to choose from, you are sure to find the one that complements your patio or outdoor space best.
Highwood Lehigh Rocking Chair
At first glance, the Highwood Lehigh Rocking Chair looks like a wooden chair, but it is actually made from a combination of recycled plastic and marine-grade synthetic wood. With a weight capacity limit of 500 lbs, this rocking chair is a heavy-duty rocking chair that most people can use comfortably.
It is also lightweight at 35 lbs, which means that you can move it easily as you wish. It is available in at least 10 color options, which makes it easy for you to choose the color that suits your space best.
Features at a Glance
- Made from eco-friendly materials, including recycled plastic and marine-grade synthetic wood
- Assembled with 304 grade stainless steel hardware
- It has a maximum weight capacity limit of 500 lbs
- It weighs 35 lbs
- It is available in 10 color options
- Item’s dimensions are 27W x 44H x 32D inches
- Seat dimensions are 23.3W x 17.3D x 16.4 inches
What We Liked
- It is made from durable and fade-resistant materials
- The material repels dirt and grime, which makes the chair easy to clean.
- You can move it easily as it is lightweight
- There are many color options to choose from
- It has a high weight capacity limit, thus can be used by many people
- It is a “green” option as it is made from recycled materials
- It is ideal for both residential and commercial use
- It is backed by a 12-year manufacturer’s residential limited warranty
What We Didn’t Like
- It is not easy to assemble on your own. Nevertheless, two people can assemble it effortlessly.
The Highwood Lehigh Rocking Chair is perfect for everyone, from the skinny fellows to the chubby members of your family. The fact that the manufacture offers a 12-years residential limited warranty shows that they are confident about this product. This rocking chair can be used both indoors and outdoors.
Highwood AD-RKCH2-BKE Weatherly Rocking Chair
The list of the best heavy-duty outdoor chairs cannot be complete without mentioning this oversized outdoor rocking chair from Highwood. Just like the Highwood Lehigh Rocking Chair, the Highwood AD-RKCH2-BKE is made from recycled plastic and marine-grade synthetic wood. The difference between the two rocking chairs is that the Highwood AD-R5C2-BKE is slightly smaller and lighter.
Features at Glance
- Made from recycled plastic and marine-grade synthetic wood
- Measures 33W x 27D x 41H inches
- Weighs 33 lbs
- It has a maximum weight capacity limit of 500
- It is available in 8 color options
What We Liked
- It is easy to assemble and comes with an instructions manual.
- It does not require sanding, staining, or painting, yet it resembles real wood.
- It is stylishly designed, so it is guaranteed to improve curb appeal.
- It is weatherproof, thus will not rot, peel, or crack when exposed to the elements.
- It is fade-resistant, thus can last for a long time looking as good as new.
- It is easy to clean as you can wash off dirt and grime with just a wet cloth.
- It is an eco-friendly option, considering that it’s made using recycled materials.
What We Didn’t Like
- It is not the most affordable option out there, but it has good enough features to compensate for the hefty price.
With a spacious sitting base, comfortable back rest, and ideal height from the ground to the seat, the Highwood Lehigh Rocking Chair, the Highwood AD-RKCH2-BKE is perhaps the best wide rocking chair on the market. It is also easy to assemble, which means that any do-it-yourselfer will put it together and take it apart without a hitch.
Rocking chairs buying guide
Rocking chairs are mainly associated with young children. Many adults prefer rocking chairs due to their relaxing and soothing function. Nowadays, they are found in a wide range of styles, colors and materials. These chairs are very comfortable and last for a long time. Researchers say that Benjamin Franklin invented them. Rocking chairs were mainly made to help people who had health problems. Nowadays, due to technology, they can be used as comfortable chairs by anybody.
Types of Rocking Chairs
We have different types of rocking chairs. These types include:
1. Adult Rocking Chair
Adult rocking chairs are of different designs, sizes and shapes. They are larger than those meant for children use.
- Outdoor Rocking Chairs
Outdoor rocking chairs are of various styles. These styles make it very critical when it comes to choosing a good outdoor rocking chair. These chairs are exposed to a harsh weather element so when buying always consider a material that will withstand such weather. Hardwood and metal are mainly preferred because they are much resilient.
3. Traditional Rocking Chair
The traditional rocking chairs have simple designs that are very appealing. They are quite durable, less expensive, more affordable and more comfortable to maintain. Tear and wear problems are very minimal in these types of chairs since they have no moving parts.
4. Glider rockers
Glider rockers use levels and swivels for rocking motion. Their motions require less space than traditional rockers. They are also more prone to damage and are expensive.
5. Swivel Rockers
They contain a glider that helps you to get extra motion for cooling the rocking chair. They offer great comfort that makes them worthy. They are also very complex.
6. Children Rocking Chairs
Children require comfort and fun as well. Their rocking chairs are not as many as those for adults. These rocking chairs are found in several sizes. When buying one, ensure you pick out the right size that will fit your child.
Features of the best rocking chair
- A good rocking chair should have an inclined angle.
- It should be made with waterproof materials.
- Also it should have techniques jointly i.e. joining tenor and mortise.
- A good rocking chair must be made such that it can hold the light and heavy users.
- Ensure that it is able to resist harsh weather conditions.
- Its back should be slanted.
Factors to consider when selecting the best rocking chair
Consider the following factors in order to select a rocking chair of your choice.
Space is a crucial factor to consider when selecting your rocking chair. Ensure you have enough space in your room. Check on your area earlier so as to avoid shifting everything in your place. Remember, some rocking chairs require more space than others.
2. Use of your chair
You need to be sure whether the rocking chair is for outdoor use, used by children or indoor. If your rocking chair will be used outside, ensure you choose a sturdy material. Choose a chair that is safe and has an appropriate height for use by children.
Always budget the amount that you want to spend without strain. These rocking chairs have different prices. When allocating the amount you wish to pay ensures it’s not too little.
4. Rocking chair dimensions
It’s good to think about the size and height of your rocking chair. Check how wide, tall and deep your chair is. For instance, those who are shorter have to choose a chair with a lower height. This will be easier when getting into and out of it. For taller people, choose a higher height.
5. Consider the material used
You have to know the material used in your chair very well. Choose the one with a material that is long-lasting and easy to clean.
In most cases, if you buy a chair and you have children in your home, they will want to sit on it. So ensure you buy a chair that is safe for them.
When you make your mind to buy a rocking chair, consider this guide. You will be able to make an informed decision and make the best choice. Now you are aware of the kind of comfort and relaxation they offer. Acquire one that fits you within no time.
How to tell how old a rocking chair is
There are several ways to get an idea of how old a rocking chair is. The style of the chair, the materials used to make the chair, the craftsmanship, and the “technology” used to make the chair, can give many hints. For instance:
- If the rocking chair is assembled with screws or nuts and bolts, chances are that the chair is less than a century old. Modern fasteners, (such as Philips screws or Hex nuts) can be found on furniture that’s not more than 75 years old.
- True antique furniture (more than 100 years old) was commonly glued together or force-fitted with the use of carefully-designed wooden joints and pegs.
- Finally, if the chair is marked, it is generally not very old. The maker’s mark is usually found on the underside of the rocking chair’s seat. You can also find the mark on the back of the chair back or on a spindle.
Where to buy a rocking chair
Amazon is the best place to buy a rocking chair. The online seller features a wide range of rocking chairs at different price points, making it easy for you to choose the most suitable chair, depending on your budget, weight, height, and color choice, among other preferences.
How much is a rocking chair?
Rocking chairs are available in a wide range of sizes, designs, and materials. The prices of rocking chairs vary depending on those factors, as well as on the manufacturer. On Amazon, prices range from as little as $34 to as high as $240.
How to fix a squeaky rocking chair
- Identify the source of the trouble.
- Apply little cooking oil spray to the squeaking joint.
- If the cooking oil does not help, pour a half teaspoon of Murphy oil soap onto a cloth and pat the soap into the squeaking wood.
- You can also apply WD-40 onto metal parts, such as the steel hinges on glider rockers, to put a stop to the squeaking.
- Apply expanding wood glue into the joints of loose wooden parts. The glue tends to expand as it dries, forming a seal that prevents wooden rocker parts from moving, which should put a stop to squeaking.
Do I have to assemble a rocking chair myself?
To avoid damage during transportation, rocking chairs are usually delivered disassembled. Luckily, most rocking chairs are easy to assemble, and manufacturers provide instruction guides for this purpose.
How should I take care of my rocking chair?
It’s advisable to choose a rocking chair that is stain-resistant, fade-resistant, and scratch resistant. You should dust with a dry cloth and apply Danish oil at least once per year. You can also clean the chair with a wet cloth occasionally to remove stubborn dirt and stains. Avoid using a silicone-based polish as it can damage your chair. Remember to use a chair cover when the chair is not in use to reduce exposure to the elements.
What type of wood can I order for my rocking chair?
Wood is a very durable option. When buying a wooden rocking chair, you can go for any hardwood – maple, ash, or walnut – as it can withstand the test of time.
Overall Final Verdict
Rocking chairs are undeniably a nostalgic addition to any home décor. Besides being an essential piece of furniture for the aging and ill ones, a rocking chair is a handy piece of furniture for any baby’s room.
If you’re looking for an affordable oversized rocking chair, the Semco Plastics SEMW Patio Rocking Chair is your best bet. It may be an inexpensive choice, but it comes with handy features that a simple rocking chair should have. As for those looking for a spacious, more comfortable, and more aesthetically-appealing rocking chair, Amish Heavy-duty 600 Lb Mission Pressure Treated Rocking Chair is the ideal choice. This beautifully-designed rocking chair is durable, comfortable, roomy, and has a high weight capacity.